About John Burgess:
John has 30 years’ experience in the design and operation of the built environment in Australia and Ireland. He is a Chartered Engineer (Engineers Ireland) and a Chartered Energy Manager (Energy Institute) and has been working with Arup since 1996. John works with project teams on both new build and retrofit projects to deliver energy efficient, high performing buildings, thereby reducing client costs and energy related CO2 emissions.
John is the Global Energy Skills Leader for Arup since early 2015. John works with Arup teams across the full energy spectrum to keep abreast of the fast changing and developing energy markets. As a team of innovative engineers with global reach and multi-disciplinary skills sets, Arup understands the importance of collaborating with academic, industry and non-governmental (NGO) partners to promote energy related research, education and policy.
John has developed a ‘deeper’ appreciation of data analytics and the various skill sets needed to tap into the unused resource that resides in all Building Management Systems (BMS). John has promoted post occupancy evaluation and understands the important role data analytics has to play in eliminating energy waste while optimizing the performance of buildings.
Master of Design Science (Building Services & Facilities Management), University of Sydney 1996
Chartered Professional Engineer since 1992
- Member of the Energy Institute, Chartered Energy Manager (2015)
- Member of the Institution of Engineers of Ireland, CEng
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Building Services Engineers – CIBSE
- Member of the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating & Air Conditioning Engineers – ASHRAE
- Member of Geothermal Association of Ireland (Chair 2011-2014, Vice Chair 2007-2010)
- May 2002 – RIAI Conference Conservation – “St. FinBarres Cathedral – Strip Out all Existing”
- November 2002 – IEI Cork Group – “St Fin Barres Cathedral – Maintenance of a Masterpiece”
- March 2004 – SEI Conference Tullamore Sustainable Energy in Building Design – “Applied design studies – evaluating the case for heat pumps”
- Sept 2004 – CIBSE Conference, London – “University College Cork Lewis Glucksman Art Gallery – Efficient Use of Natural Resource for Close Control”
- Sept 2005 – CIBSE Cork & Limerick Chapters – Implementation Programme for EPBD.
- November 2008 – Geothermal Conference Kilkenny – “Geothermal heating & cooling systems – planning, installation& monitoring case studies
- May 2011 – Geothermal Conference Kilkenny – “Cost Comfort Carbon Balance for Geothermal Heating Applications in Dwellings”
- April 2014- Irish Green Building Council Better Buildings Conference – “Renewable Energy in Non-Domestic Buildings”